Vancouver City Council
Updated March 25, 2004
NOTICE OF MEETING
REGULAR COUNCIL MEETING - MARCH 23, 2004
COUNCIL CHAMBER - 2:00 P.M.
· Agendas, reports and minutes are available on the City of Vancouver web site at http://www.city.vancouver.bc.ca/ctyclerk/councilmeetings/meeting_schedule.cfm.
· Late reports (so noted) are put on the web site when they are received in the Office of the City Clerk.
· Minutes of the meeting.
For information regarding the Council meeting, please call
Charlene Imai at 604.871.6355 or Tarja Tuominen at 604.873.7191.
PROCLAMATION - International Day for the Elimination of Racial Discrimination
PRESENTATION by Tamara Nile
PROCLAMATION - Savage God Day
RECOGNITION 3:45 p.m. - City of Vancouver Retirees
"IN CAMERA" MEETING
THAT Council will go into a meeting later this day which is closed to the public, pursuant to Section 165.2(1) of the Vancouver Charter, to discuss matters related to paragraph(s):
(i) the receipt of advice that is subject to solicitor-client privilege, including communications necessary for that purpose;
ITEMS ARISING FROM THE "IN CAMERA" MEETING OF MARCH 9, 2004
Council approved appointments to the following civic agencies:
· Board of Variance
· Advisory Committee on Diversity Issues
· Advisory Committee on Disability Issues
· Vancouver City Planning Commission
Names of those appointed are available from the City Clerk's Office
ADOPTION OF MINUTES
1. Regular Council (City Services and Budgets) - February 26, 2004
2. Regular Council (Planning and Environment) - February 26, 2004
3. Regular Council - March 9, 2004
COMMITTEE OF THE WHOLE
MATTERS ADOPTED ON CONSENT
1. Adoption of the Hastings-Sunrise and Renfrew-Collingwood Community Visions
Ted Sebastian, Planner, City and Regional Plans; and Peter Burch, Planner, Community Visions; will present a Report Reference on the completed Hastings-Sunrise and Renfrew-Collingwood Community Visions.
Also present will be Heather Weber, representing the Renfrew-Collingwood Community Liaison group, and Patricia Barnes, representing the Hastings-Sunrise Community Liaison Group.
Policy Report "Adoption of the Hastings-Sunrise and Renfrew Collingwood Community Visions" dated January 24, 2004, refers.
2. Building By-law Upgrades to Existing Buildings
John Robertson, Chief Building Official, and Will Johnston, Code Development Engineer, will present a Report Reference on the proposed amendments to the Building By-law to encourage the re-use and rehabilitation of existing buildings.
Policy Report "Building By-law Upgrades to Existing Buildings" dated March 9, 2004 refers.
1. New Public Street Name - Citadel Parade
2. 3749 West 30th Avenue - Extension of Development and Building Permit No. DB412167
3. Building Board of Appeal Membership
4. Parking By-law: Housekeeping Amendment for MC-1 and MC-2
(i) Memorandum dated March 22, 2004 from Trish French, Senior Planner,
requesting the addition of a further recommendation
5. Sunday Hours of Opening
6. Agreement with Vancouver Port Authority to Exchange Use of Optical Fibre Networks
7. Housing Agreement for 1966 East 19th Avenue (New Chelsea Society)
8. Additions to Proposed Lease of a Volumetric Portion of Georgia Street
9. Richmond Airport Vancouver Rapid Transit Line Vancouver Access Agreement
10. Local Improvement Reballot from February 11, 2004
11. Demolition of City-owned residential premises at 2086 West 7th Avenue
Note: A request to speak on A11 has been received.
12. Single Room Accommodation By-law: Application to exempt all 42 SRA rooms at 310 Cambie Street (the Cambie International Hostel)
13. Single Room Accommodation (SRA) By-law: 1212 Granville Street (Ambassador Hotel) Joint Application for Exemption and Conversion Permit
14. Single Room Accommodation By-law: Application to exempt all 37 SRA rooms at 515 Seymour Street (the Seymour Cambie Hostel)
15. 2004 Cultural Operating and Project Grant Allocations (Requires eight affirmative votes)
(i) Memorandum dated March 17, 2004, from Alice Niwinski, Cultural Planner,
regarding requests for reconsideration
16. Approval of 2004-2005 Business Improvement Area (BIA) Budgets
(i) Memorandum dated March 22, 2004, from Peter Vaisbord, BIA Coordinator,
regarding result of Victoria Drive BIA Budget Vote
17. Authority to Travel to Melbourne, Australia to attend the International Conference on the Reduction of Drug Related harm - April 20-24, 2004
1. CD-1 Rezoning - 1380 Hornby Street
2. CD-1 Rezoning - 1475 Howe Street
RISE FROM COMMITTEE OF THE WHOLE
ADOPT REPORT OF COMMITTEE OF THE WHOLE
1. A By-law to assess real property to defray 2003 maintenance costs for the Granville Street Decorative Tree Lighting Local Improvement Project
2. A By-law to assess real property to defray 2003 costs for the East Hastings Street Collective Parking Project
3. A By-law to assess real property to defray 2003 maintenance costs for the Trounce Alley and Blood Alley Square Local Improvement Project
4. A By-law to assess real property to defray 2003 costs for the South Fraser Street Collective Parking Project
5. A By-law to amend Street Name By-law No. 4054 (re Citadel Parade) (Subject to approval of Report A1)
6. A By-law to authorize Council entering into a Heritage Revitalization Agreement with the Owner of Heritage Property (re 52 Water Street)
(Councillor Stevenson and the Mayor excused from voting on By-law 6)
7. A By-law to authorize Council entering into a Heritage Revitalization Agreement with the Owner of Heritage Property (re 46 Water Street)
(Councillor Stevenson and the Mayor excused from voting on By-law 7)
8. Heritage Taxation Exemption By-law for 52 Water Street (Requires eight affirmative votes)
9. Heritage Taxation Exemption By-law for 46 Water Street (Requires eight affirmative votes)
10. A By-law to enact a Housing Agreement for 1966 East 19th Avenue (Subject to approval of Report A7)
11. A By-law to amend Zoning and Development By-law No. 3575 to rezone an area to CD-1 (re 1201 West Hastings Street)
(Councillors Green, Stevenson and the Mayor excused from voting on By-law 11)
12. A By-law to amend Sign By-law No. 6510 (re 1201 West Hastings Street)
(Councillors Green, Stevenson and the Mayor excused from voting on By-law 12)
13. A By-law to amend Zoning and Development By-law No. 3575 (re secondary suites)
(Councillors Green and Stevenson excused from voting on By-law 13)
A. Administrative Motions
B. Motions on Notice
1. Provincial Cuts to Women's Centres
MOVER: Councillor Woodsworth
Note: Requests to speak on Motion B.1 have been received.
NOTICE OF MOTION
ENQUIRIES AND OTHER MATTERS
* * * * *